How to Choose Yoga Studio Management Software
Most yoga teachers get started teaching yoga because they want to spread the power of yoga and empower people to be healthy. That's why I run 42Yogis. But what you may not have realised when you started teaching is that going into business for yourself is more complicated than renting a space and teaching classes.
To run a yoga studio you need to be an entrepreneur. You need to oversee a wide array of things like:
- Class registration
- Lesson Plans
- Payment Processing
- Staff Management
- ...and much more.
It's not too long before running a yoga studio has taken over your life, and you're getting bogged down in minutia. A comprehensive yoga studio management software suite will help you manage your class schedule, memberships, payments, and more in an efficient way. Sure, you'll still have to create lesson plans, manage your staff, and oversee your marketing, but a lot of the ins-and-outs will be handled.
There are a few key things to look for in studio management software:
- Web-based capability. Web based studio management software is hosted in the cloud, which means you can manage your yoga business at the studio, and even tend to issues that arise when you're home. Simply open your browser and login.
- Website integration. Selling passes and memberships on your website will allow students to purchase or renew memberships from home. Website integration means the student will be automatically added to your database as soon as they register online.
- Easy class management. Adding and removing classes easily will ease a lot of headaches while you're figuring out your ideal class schedule. Additionally, by checking students in for class as they arrive will give you data about which class times and days are most popular.
- Exporting your data. Exporting your data is essential so you have accurate records of class schedule, attendance, memberships, and revenue at your fingertips. This is an especially useful function if you have an accountant.
- Comprehensiveness. You want a software solution that takes care of your accounting, your student membership, billing, and invoicing. This will keep you from having to find multiple pieces of software and trying to make them work together.
Popular Yoga Studio Software Solutions
There are a lot of yoga software solutions out there, but there are 3 that I really like.
Tula, ZenPlanner, and Booker all allow yoga studios to run every aspect of their business online with ease. With each of these software options you can store customer information, record purchases, assign credits to students, record attendances, charge credit cards, handle online registrations and payments, and manage special events.
Tula is designed for independent yoga studios, and allows you to manage different class packages, your schedule, and check in students. If you're scaling up to more than one studio, you will have to purchase another account.
Tula processes credit cards internally using a payment platform called Stripe. No external card reader is needed, as you input the credit cards manually. ZenPlanner prefers to work with PaySimple, while Booker has their own credit card processing system.
If you wish to use your Square, PayPal, or Amazon payment platform, you can input payments in the Tula, ZenPlanner, or Booker platform as an offline payment. This is the same way you would input you received payment with cash.
ZenPlanner also manages payroll for your employees to help you make sure your employees are paid on time.
Each of these software suites has its pros and cons. Before you pick one, I recommend making a list of each thing you hope to get out of your management software, and then emailing the list to each company to see which features they can provide you. From there you can make an educated decision.
- Posted in: Yoga Business
Download the free workbook that accompanies this podcast episode.